I have been doing DSLR photography since 2007. I love it, and I like being able to express certain passions of mine through the medium of photography. I have experience shooting all kinds things, including: weddings, newborns, birthdays, parties, family portraits, funerals (yes, funerals), MMA events, school portraits, etc... But my biggest passion is wildlife, and my specialty--if I have one--is wild horses.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Wild Horses of Utah's West Desert May 2016

This old white stallion is my favorite horse in the world. I started calling him Gandolf several years ago, and I've just been referring to him that way since. He is an old horse, a former herd patriarch. I'm not sure just how old he is, but I'm guessing he's in his early-mid twenties. Every year, usually when winter hits, I wonder if these will be his last days. And so far, each spring, I've found him, still hanging on. This past weekend, I found him, not only doing well and looking good, but feeling good enough to get in a good 20-30 second sparring match with the younger stallion to his right. I have seen Gandolf rear up and make a little noise on occasion, but it's mostly posturing, and nothing serious. This time was different. This time, he wanted to engage and go full on. It was a gift to see the old horse still feeling ornery and full of "piss and vinegar" as the saying goes. 
These two stallions went at it for a few minutes. At each others' throats one minute, and chasing each other through the grass in the next minute. The darker bay stallion on the right (fighting) is a really handsome thing. He has a mane that looks like he just stepped out of a New York salon. I loved this shot because of the motion and intensity between these two.

I'm a sucker for shots of the stallions as they spar and compete for mares and herd dominance, but once in a while, I stop and catch something more calm and serene. Here, this paint mare kisses her COY (colf of the year). A tender moment between mother and child.

No comments:

Post a Comment