I have been doing DSLR photography since 2007. I love it, and I like being able to express certain passions of mine through the medium of photography. I have experience shooting all kinds things, including: weddings, newborns, birthdays, parties, family portraits, funerals (yes, funerals), MMA events, school portraits, etc... But my biggest passion is wildlife, and my specialty--if I have one--is wild horses.

Friday, March 14, 2014

"Face Off"

I have been following Utah's Onaqui herd of Wild Horses and Mustangs since about 2009. I have had several experiences with these wild animals, which I can best describe as something spiritual. On the afternoon that I shot this, I saw the entire herd stampede across the desert; 130 horses running and kicking up dust. After a couple of hours of watching them, trying to work my way into the herd, they settled near a water hole. In "Face Off," the stallion on the left had just come out from swimming in the water hole, only to meet a competing stallion who had just arrived. I had plenty of light, I was shooting at 400 ISO at f/9, and a focal length of about 150mm.

This herd has become something special to me, and I try and make it out there a couple of times a month, especially during the summer and fall. I am planning on putting together a couple of wild horse workshops this summer. So let me know if you're interested.

I was very fortunate to capture this shot, and it was awarded 'Best of Show' at the 2013 Peteetneet Art Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment