I have been doing DSLR photography since 2007. I love it, and I like being able to express certain passions of mine through the medium of photography. I have experience shooting all kinds things, including: weddings, newborns, birthdays, parties, family portraits, funerals (yes, funerals), MMA events, school portraits, etc... But my biggest passion is wildlife, and my specialty--if I have one--is wild horses.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Onaqui Wild Horses Part 2

This was one of the last trips I made to the herd, last fall. I always hope to be able to approach the herd in my car, at least within 100 or so yards; they're used to seeing a few cars and trucks everyday, rolling through the desert. If you have to approach them from out of nowhere, on foot, they're much more skiddish, as you can seem like a predator, rather than just a peaceful Joe with only a camera.
This particular evening, I caught the herd a good ways from a dirt road. So, they didn't see me park my car. I hiked at least 1000 yards to get to them, and when I got within sight of them, a half dozen of them ran out to meet me; ears perked up, nostrils flared, looking for a showdown if I wanted one. I stopped where I was, and let them stare at me and my tripod for a while; long enough that they could all calm down a bit.
By the time I got to start shooing some good stuff, the daylight was quickly fading. I was lucky to get the shots that I did; very few. But because of the lighting, this shot ended up being rather beautiful. These horses are so pretty. They are wild; they are quite different than any Quarter Horse you may have been around. They have a wild, natural spirit, and you can feel it if you try.
I sure hope that these precious symbols of the wild American West will remain for many, many centuries to come. I'm crossing my fingers than man won't screw it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment